CLEAN WATER AND HEALTHY SANITATION PROJECT
access to Clean water is a human right
Water and healthy sanitation are vital necessities for the daily needs of the family and community. According to a report by UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO), some 2.2 billion people around the world do not have safe drinking water services, 4.2 billion people do not have safely managed sanitation services, and 3 billion lack basic handwashing facilities. Many children under the age 5 die every day from diarrhea caused by contaminated water, poor sanitation, and unsafe hygiene.
This alarming state has raised the level of awareness towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal targets for clean water and healthy sanitation, and to identify opportunities to meet the challenges that remain.
In view of this RDC targets to promote better living conditions through the provision of clean drinking water and healthy sanitation to the community.
The Project Objectives
In the immediate term, RDC plans to provide drinking water for the community through communal treated water supply as well as to construct deep water wells in several identified areas.
Healthy sanitation through community toilets with recycling effluent that enables:
- sustainable water reuse (agriculture)
- recycling effect
- nutrient return to the soil
- final sewage does not pollute rivers or canals.
This project shall fulfil United Nation SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) No 6, which is providing clean water and sanitation.
Location of the Project
Several areas that have been identified in Cambodia and Philippines includes the following :
• Cambodia : Sihanoukville, Kampot, Koh Kong & Battambang
• Philippines : Aeta Community (Pampanga), Barangay San Isidro (Tarlac), and Camarines Sur (Bicol)
The Project Cost
• 30 wells x RM1,500 = RM45,000
• 2 units of Water Treatment system x RM72,500 = RM145,000
• 20 units of Healthy Sanitation system x RM10,100 = RM202,000
Total Cost = RM392,000
Note: The costs may differ due to remoteness of location and technology used.